Freeman Dyson - "IT WAS FOUR YEARS AGO that Dyson began publicly stating his doubts about climate change. Speaking at the Frederick S. Pardee Center for the Study of the Longer-Range Future at Boston University, Dyson announced that “all the fuss about global warming is grossly exaggerated.”
Since then he has only heated up his misgivings, declaring in a 2007 interview with Salon.com that “the fact that the climate is getting warmer doesn’t scare me at all” and writing in an essay for The New York Review of Books, the left-leaning publication that is to gravitas what the Beagle was to Darwin, that climate change has become an “obsession” — the primary article of faith for “a worldwide secular religion” known as environmentalism. Among those he considers true believers, Dyson has been particularly dismissive of Al Gore, whom Dyson calls climate change’s “chief propagandist,” and James Hansen, the head of the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies in New York and an adviser to Gore’s film, “An Inconvenient Truth.” Dyson accuses them of relying too heavily on computer-generated climate models that foresee a Grand Guignol of imminent world devastation as icecaps melt, oceans rise and storms and plagues sweep the earth, and he blames the pair’s “lousy science” for “distracting public attention” from “more serious and more immediate dangers to the planet.”
The world should have figured out that there is no global warming problem and yet...
This an actual Associated Press news release from last week: Why they have not been forced to admit that the acronym stands for Approved Propaganda is beyond comprehension, but let us look at this ridiculous announcement!
"WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration on Monday proposed a new agency to study and report on the changing climate, which has drawn concern among many scientists in recent years.
Commerce Secretary Gary Locke and Jane Lubchenco, head of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, announced NOAA will set up the new Climate Service to operate in tandem with NOAA's National Weather Service and National Ocean Service.
"Whether we like it or not, climate change represents a real threat," Locke said Monday at a news conference."
Well, that is a completely ludicrous statement. Climate changes every day. Why we would need yet another agency (more money, more government, more regulations? Yeah, that is what we need! Sarcasm intended)!? If you are a snowman and it is going to be 70 degrees fahrenheit tomorrow, that is a real threat. If you make a living as a bikini model and you have a shoot scheduled for a beach in Virginia (and there are not many good ones there) then unless you love snow and cold then climate change today is a big threat. Income change is a threat. Health change is a threat. Change always includes inherent risks. Locke's statement is, in the end, supposed to sound ominous but is actually meaningless.
"Lubchenco added, "Climate change is real, it's happening now." She said climate information is vital to the wind power industry, coastal community planning, fishermen and fishery managers, farmers and public health officials."
Aye, lassie, we need to watch the weather report to know if it is going to rain or snow or so on. Not that the weather report is accurate but it is usually pretty close if they do not try to predict more than maybe a week ahead of time. But we already have an agency for that, news stations with weather reporters (One local meteorologist is actually named Amy Freeze) who are often pretty ladies with big maps and nice smiles. Meteorologists study the weather to make short-term predictions and not one of them can render an accurate forecast for a year from now.
Well, unless you want the good old "fair to partly cloudy with a chance of precipitation and increased clouds, sunrise in the morning with sunset towards evening and seasonable temperatures." You like that?
"NOAA recently reported that the decade of 2000-2009 was the warmest on record worldwide; the previous warmest decade was the 1990s. Many atmospheric scientists believe that global warming is largely due to human actions, adding gases to the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels such as coal and natural gas."
No, no, a thousand times no! How clueless is the Obama Administration? How clueless is the AP? More important, how clueless do they think the public is? We now know that the decade of 2000-2009 is not only not the warmest on record but is not even close. In fact, the global climate is cooling. Climategate exposed the scientists who had been cooking the books and changing data in order to promote their agenda. That entire statement is made by either a liar or an idiot. The warmest weather of the 20th century was more likely to be a year in the 1930's than the 1990's and the 21st century is one of declining global temperatures.
Small Dead Animals -
"Pleasing your enemies does not turn them into friends."
"Hide the Decline" - the Climategate links
Special Investigation: an excellent summary for those new to Climategate.
How Canadian thermometers were "taken out and shot".
"Researchers and leaders from around the world met last month in Denmark to discuss ways to reduce climate-warming emissions, and a follow-up session is planned for later this year in Mexico. But a U.N. report that preceded the conference in Copenhagen has been widely disputed after much of the data in it was found to have been gathered unscientifically."
Well, duh. Unscientifically? How about a conspiracy and a widespread one at that to promote intentional fraudulent data in order to promote an agenda of more government control of business and energy sources? How about a conspiracy to enrich crooks like Al Gore who promoted a patently false alarmist claim about a global disaster in progress while quickly investing in carbon offset companies in order to make millions of dollars in profit on the misery of others? While third world nations would remain in poverty and the US economy would be crippled terribly, Al could afford to buy another private jet and perhaps another mansion in yet another location? How about THAT for unscientific? Rod Blagoevich was unscientific by that definition. John Dillinger was unscientific.
Go ahead and download this document and read, if you dare to know anything about what is and is not a possible crisis that the world needs to deal with right now.
Go to this website to see actual scientific enquiry into this subject.
"More and more people are asking for more and more information about climate and how it's going to affect them," Lubchenco explained. So officials decided to combine climate operations into a single unit.
Portions of the Weather Service that have been studying climate, as well as offices from some other NOAA agencies, will be transferred to the new NOAA Climate Service.
The new agency will initially be led by Thomas Karl, director of the current National Climatic Data Center. The Climate Service will be headquartered in Washington and will have six regional directors across the country."
Translation: More government, more of our money being thrown away for no good reason.
"Lubchenco also announced a new NOAA climate portal on the Internet to collect a vast array of climatic data from NOAA and other sources. It will be "one-stop shopping into a world of climate information," she said.
Creation of the Climate Service requires a series of steps, including congressional committee approval. But if all goes well, it should be finished by the end of the year, officials said.
In recent years, a widespread private weather forecasting industry has grown up around the National Weather Service, and Lubchenco said she anticipates growth of private climate-related business around the new agency."
Give me a break! In no way is a new government agency going to wind up encouraging private climate-related business in any meaningful way. Allow free enterprise to work and take the idiotic agencies out of the way and we will use the resources available for us within US borders and territorial waters to get oil and gas and coal to boost business now and develop all sorts of alternate forms of energy (especially conversion of refuse into fuel) by private enterprise.
No government agency supported Duryea or Ford or Oldsmobile as they developed a viable alternative to the horse as a mode of transportation around the turn of the 19th-to-20th century. The Wright brothers and not some federal bureau of flight successfully began the era of heavier-than-air flight. Entrepreneurs, inventors and scientists have been responsible for the vast majority of great inventions and innovations during the history of mankind. Unfortunately the government in the form of the EPA especially has been a damper on innovation and invention and a hindrance to the best use of our resources.
Hopefully most of my readers can use the Google search engine to research a few things that science DOES know about climate change:
1) The climate warms and cools and it has been doing it for all of recorded human history. With or without the burning of fossil fuels.
2) One big volcanic eruption does more to change a world climactic situation than all the industrial output of the United States in a year's time.
3) Sea levels go up and down and have been doing so for centuries. And no, we do not mean the tidal phenomenon.
4) The evidence of history tells us that if global warming was coming we should be rejoicing and celebrating rather than being worried about it! The last major warming period was a time of increased prosperity for most of the globe.
5) The sun is the major driver of both warming and cooling cycles. More solar activity = warming. Less solar activity = cooling.
6) The global climate is a remarkable in that it has checks and balances built in - more clouds mean more precipitation but also shield the ground from direct sunlight, cooling the globe. But sometimes cloud cover holds warmth underneath, warming a portion of the globe. Heavy snow covers reflect much sunlight back at the sun, cooling the globe. Cooling temperatures then cause less moisture and then less cloud cover, warming the globe, etc. When more warmth produces one condition, then another system begins to operate to adjust things back the other way. Ocean currents and clouds and fresh water stored as glaciers and snow cover and many many other factors all work in concert to balance the forces of the sun and keep the world in a pretty narrow band of temperature ranges.
7) CO2 does rise along with warmth but it follows rather than proceeds, thus making it a result rather than a cause.
8) El Nino patterns in the Pacific Ocean often cause weather conditions that are surprising and damaging and we still do not know exactly what causes El Nino cycles nor do we have any good idea how to help either cause or stop them. Subterranean and deep ocean forces also have some part in the big picture. We don't understand the entire climate much better than we do quantum mechanics. We have only scratched the surface of understanding how the global climate works.
9) The most important thing to know is that the famous "hockey stick graph" was as fake as Dan Rather's Bush papers and so is the science presented by the IPCC that was obtained from the CRU. We also know that weather reporting stations in the USA and Canada have been intentionally "gamed" in numerous ways to try to present a warming trend that did not in fact exist.
10) Climate Change Alarmists show all the signs of having a religious belief system rather than a fact-based point of view. They keep claiming that global warming is a problem and they have tried to fake evidence to promote this and yet many government officials seem to think they must at least appear to believe this garbage in order to keep the news media on their side. Very few have the sense or the guts to admit that science does not know what is going to happen long range but we do know that global warming is NOT a problem in part because we are in a cooling period. See how easy that is? It is cooling right now. You and I cannot change that. You got a complaint, call the sun and tell it to get working harder before we have another little ice age.